Friday, April 1, 2011

Shared Thoughts!

Another opportunity for me to share some thoughts about life around me.  This article may be old, I am not sure, but new to me though.  The article I found this week was about the finding of what is believed as codices from biblical times.  The archiologists are not proclaiming them to be specifically from the bible, yet the research that they are performing is indicating that they are leaning to that specific era of time.  As I read this, my mind went into seminary mode and allowed me to revisit what my professor taught us about the possibility that other books of the bible may still be out in the world to be found.  For some this process might pull them away from their beliefs that what is written in the bible as merely a story, and quite possibly does not have ALL the information in it.  One thing that we need to keep in mind is in essence the bible really is written as a story for it's readers.  Now don't get on your soapbox quite yet to want to disagree with me.  The bible is written by many translators, by how they researched the land, the social classes, and demographics of that specific time era.  Now, I do believe that the bible is written as the Word of God, but we need to keep in mind that as stories and research change so will our interpretation of how the bible is written.  And therefore also how we read it too!  Just as in this case of this discovery of the codices, if they are proven to be from the biblical era in there translation and interpretations, that might change yet again how we read the bible.  In this ever changing world that we live in, we need to accept the fact that as the UCC mantra states "God is still speaking", we have to believe that He truly is still speaking to us.  And although His Word will never change, the way he teaches us that word though may very well change indeed.  Can we as secular ridden human beings adapt to this though? Hmmm...
Thanks all and have a great and blessed weekend!
View the article here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110330/ts_yblog_thelookout/could-lead-codices-prove-the-major-discovery-of-christian-history

No comments:

Post a Comment